Laura Chapman is the author of The Marrying Type, Hard Hats and Doormats and the Autumn and Tuck series, which appear in Merry & Bright and A Kind of Mad Courage. A native Nebraskan, she loves football, Netflix marathons, and her cats, Jane and Bingley. Until she fulfills her dream of landing a British husband or becoming a Disney princess, you can find her in a bar penning her next novel. She’s a fabulous read, check her out!
To Survive a Deserted Island:
- Some sort of Hunger Games-like contraption to purify water. While I’d prefer to demand a full supply of bottled water, who knows how long I’ll be stuck on this island.
- Sunscreen. I’m a delicate flower.
- Vodka. If TV has taught me anything it’s a medical supply and a coping mechanism.
- My iPhone with a solar charger. I’m in a codependent relationship with my iPhone, and I can’t live without her, I mean it. Aside from the entertainment value, I’ll need it to tell me what fruits and plants are edible and which ones will kill me.
- Michael Fassbender. I imagine even the iPhone won’t be entertaining after a while.
In My Purse at All Times:
- My iPhone. As I said, I need it.
- Makeup bag, which actually contains things like toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, etc. I never know when I’m going to end up in a meeting and might need to freshen up.
- A notebook and pen. While I jot down plenty of notes on my iPhone, I like to have this on hand in case I get inspired.
- Halls Sugar-Free throat lozenges.
- My Packers sunglasses.
In My Wardrobe:
- Scarves. They’re a great accessory to give an outfit an extra pop of flare Fall through Spring.
- Cardigans–particularly the boyfriend cut (which is a bit longer and covers my rear).
- Ballet flats. These are my go-to shoe year-round.
- Undershirts. I like layering.
In My Library:
- Saving Grace by Julie Garwood. This is one of my favorite reads from when I discovered romance novels. I’ve re-read it once a year probably since I was 12.
- These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
- The Complete Jane Austen Collection. It’s every book in one!
- Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
- Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts
In My Pantry:
- Quinoa. This sounds like such a pretentious thing to have, but ever since I figured out how to cook it, I’m never without it.
- Hazelnut coffee. Miss Laura needs caffeine to keep her edge.
- Lentils–a vegetarian’s best friend.
- Wine–preferably Pinot Noir, Moscato, and Riesling. (You never know what you’ll be in the mood to drink.)
- Salmon-flavored treats for the kittens. These are particularly useful when I need an hour of peace to write.