Week # 13
To survive on a desert island:
- Four Seasons resort complete with a swim-up bar featuring Tiki torches and cocktails served in hollowed-out coconuts pineapples (I don’t even need a bartender—I will serve myself because I’m *roughing it*)
- A suitcase packed with all the books in my towering “to be read” pile
- My laptop so I can write, waste time on the Internet, and queue up songs for impromptu karaoke nights at the swim-up bar
- A search and rescue plane headed my way…in about two weeks.
In my closet:
- Scotch-Brite lint roller. We have two dogs, and we’re always at a level-five fur situation.
- A magical pair of Miss Me skinny jeans that my friend Amy gave me when she moved overseas. I don’t know where/when she got these, but they do amazing things for my legs. I could try on thousands of dollars’ worth of denim at upscale department stores and never find any as flattering as these hand-me-downs.
- The vintage watch my mom gave me for Christmas. It’s classic, it makes me feel like a grown up, and most of all, it’s meaningful because she picked it out for me.
- Flip flops. I’m an Arizonan. Flip flops are standard-issue nine months out of the year.
- My low-rise navy cotton UCLA shorts. I’ve had them for ten years and I love to wear them when I write. But the seat is starting to wear through and I’ll have to relinquish them soon. I’m hyperventilating just thinking about it.
In my purse at all times:
- Cherry Larabars
- MAC lipstick in Viva Glam VI
In my library:
- “Mrs. Perfect” by Jane Porter
- “The Spellman Files” by Lisa Lutz
- “Drink This! Wine Made Simple” by Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl
- “The Science of Good Cooking” by America’s Test Kitchen
- My autographed copy of “Lothaire” by Kresley Cole
In my pantry:
- Tazo green tea. I don’t drink coffee, so a hit of green tea keeps me caffeinated for hours.
- Canidae dog food. If we run out, the dogs will riot.
- Pretzel goldfish. If we run out, my kid will riot.
- Dove dark chocolate squares. If we run out, I will riot—especially when I’m on deadline.
- Dried cherries mixed with shelled walnuts. It’s fruit. It’s protein. It’s breakfast. It’s a snack. It’s…everything.